Once again following UPS, FedEx has announced their 2012 rate changes. The changes will take place on January 2, 2012; the same day that the new UPS rates take place. Below is a list of some of the changes
FedEx Rate Changes for 2012:
- Rates increased an average of 5.9%. The rate increase was partially offset by adjusting the fuel price at which the fuel surcharge begins, reducing the fuel surcharge by 2%.
- Minimum rates for FedEx Express services changed.
- SmartPost rates increased.
- Additional Handling Surcharge increased from $8 to $8.50.
- Delivery Area Surcharge - The surcharge for commercial and extended commercial shipments increased from $1.85 per package to $2 per package.
- FedEx Express and FedEx Ground services- The surcharge for residential shipments increased from $2.75 per package to $3 per package.
- FedEx Express and FedEx Ground services – The charge for Direct Signature Required increased from $3.25 per package to $3.50 per package
The rate change that Shipsurance can help offset is the annual raise in Declared Value cost:
- Declared value fees for FedEx Express and FedEx Ground services – Increased from $0.75 to $0.80 per $100 of value. For U.S. package services, the charges apply to shipments valued in excess of $100, and the minimum charge increased from $2.25 to $2.40.